Tuesday, March 16, 2010

People Make Up the World












My girlfriend bought a bunch of shiny card to make paper boats for the upcoming apartment Easter Egg hunt. But the card was too thick to make good boats out of. They were clunky and didn't fold right. Sonya discovered this early on in her boat constructions and switched to newspaper - a functionally and aesthetically superior material for building paper boats.

So what was I to do with the left over cardboard. I poured ink over it to achieve some "intuitive" forms but the wetness of my ink warped the paper and spilled all over my desk. The card had a smooth texture to it so I took to it with black ink and a nib. The nib glided over the card which is ideal for my ink drawing. So I kept going.

This series which for now is titled People Make Up the World is an exploration into uncomfortable fantasy. I wanted to create a series of drawings (with all the left over card) which portrays people flawed in character or action in a way that is indiscernible. The characters have an ambiguous relationship to morality through subtle hints of character traits which go no further than suspicious. I expect that these images will appear further in my practice. I intend to publish them as an illustration essay and continue to explore related concepts of perversions.

We live in an interesting time of political correctness which has strong implications for the signals we give off about our sexuality, tolerance and to some extent political ideology. Perversions change, fifty years ago it was dangerous to be a communist sympathizer, shortly before that it was dangerous to be Jewish. These cultural shifts in morality come with a form of self monitoring and policing. This series of works attempts to demonstrate compromised character.


7 comments:

RAPP said...

wow tones, these are fantastic. i love them.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ragingyoghurt said...

these are freakishly excellent! i feel queasy, and uneasy.

Anonymous said...

wow, these are really great! where do you buy shiny card from?

Tony Curran said...

It's not that shiny, It's just that smooth stuff that you buy at the newsagent. you know?

lucywashere2011 said...

Hey Tony, these are really good. I like drawings of yours in this style - very Ralph Steadman, the illustrator who worked with Hunter S Thompson.

Tony Curran said...

I love Ralph Steadman!