Monday, November 16, 2009

It's a Holiday - Not Work

While traveling around Japan I'm constantly reminded about the surrounding space. Everything in the cities is so crowded and the spaces constantly vary between tiny and massive. Whenever I take a photograph it completely flattens out all the intensity of the place so I have started to take stereoscopic images to convey the magnitude of it. In Ginkaku-ji temple the gardens are phenomenal and the giant trees look exactly the same as the tiny shrubs on the ground. After I made this stereoscopic image I searched through my luggage to find my pair of red and green 3D glasses that I never leave home without and much to my frustration I had left home without them. I'm not sure if it works or not but if you have a pair that works then try it and let me know. I'll upload some new ones upon my return home. If you don't have a pair of glasses to view it then send me an email with your address and I'll mail you a pair when I get home.

I've been inundated with awesome photographic gadgets here but this basic point and shoot camera is the coolest I've seen. It's a 35mm camera you build yourself much like little models I built as a kid. I'm hoping to get some cool results from this in the future.





I also just bought a stereoscopic pinhole camera from the same awesome Roppongi bookshop I bought my lomo in my last Tokyo trip. It came in a magazine and every issue you get a new build your own camera. The last one was a twin lens reflex. The magazine only costs 2300 Yen = about $25 AUD.



Wonder Rocket, 2009


Portrait of Contemporary Tokyo, 2009

Sometimes Sonya likes to stop off and look at shops. It happens on an impulse and so I paint on my iPhone from the colour palettes I've been saturated with over the last week. The top is the crazy bunny rabbit from an Alice in Wonderland shop I found Sonya in which has frenetic shoppers and creepy bunny mannequins.