Monday, October 26, 2009

A TOUR OF THE STUDIO

I've been working on this one for a while. It started turning out so different from any paintings I had done before. I started this painting early this year and I work on it at least once a week. I'd be surprised I I ever finish it.

This started as a weird play with throwing ink around. After you throw things around they begin to talk to you kind of like a Rorschach inkblot used by psychologists and psychiatrists. In a similar way I quickly started to notice hidden meanings in this one. I see a bunny's face caressed by a hand which brings back the memory of my deceased pet rabbit. He died when I was about 10 or something and was my first experience of death.


These works are a stereo-painting in development and they have been in development for months. Almost every line takes a day to dry and it's a very calculated and tight approach. They need to differ slightly so that they are looking at the subject from slightly different angles. This work is a long way off.



I usually have a bit of paint left on my brush and on my palette. I also usually have a big mirror next to me and so I do a quick self portrait with what I have. This is the last two.

No comments: